Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More coolant re-routing

Well, like I said in the last post, that adapter I got from autohausaz wasn't right. They were great about the return, but I haven't gotten my money yet, so I'll post the final disposition on that when it arrives. Its less than $10, so its really more of a test of their return policy for the blogosphere than me wanting my money. Of course, like anyone, I could find a use for that $10.

While we wait for the money, I did get the automatic-version coolant flange from them for about the same amount (less than $10). Getting the old one off was a bear. It takes a 12mm hex socket on 2 bolts. The upper one was easy, but the second one wasn't. That lower bolt holds a steel support for the water and vacuum lines that makes this difficult. Well, sorta. It just wasn't easy peasy. Anyway, pull the nut, pop it into a baby food jar, then pull the steel support off the end, and then remove the bolt. Off comes the flange.

Then transfer the lines.
The fat one that came out the end of the old flange connects to the fat pipe that points to right (if you're looking at the engine from over the flywheel). I didn't connect this fat one, actually. Once I noticed the bend in the hose, and how it would basically route right into the exhaust header, I figured I should get a different hose. There's a smaller line that connects to the small pipe (routes to the oil cooler), and the temperature sender fits into a similar looking hole. When you pull the old flange, pull the old washer (or get a new one when you get your flange) for the temperature sender. Had I realized this was not part of the replacement part, I would have ordered one. Fortunately, the old washer has plenty of life left... or so it looks. The picture here shows it put back together. The temp sender is on the right, there's an open bib above it for the coolant to route to the heater. By the way, I got that M6/75 bolt at Winks Hardware for $0.61. I went with an allen head thinking it wouldn't stick out as far. Turned out it doesn't stick out past the flange. Ahh... Oh, and none of the flange sticks out past the vacuum pump (shiny thing above the flange in the picture), so the issue it was bought to address has been resolved.

So, now the coolant re-route part is over until I get the engine in the bus and I have to start working through the radiator details. At some point, I have to deal with not having a heat solution yet, but I'm holding out hope that I'll find a local junked Jetta and take the whole heater unit from it. I've got the time, so maybe I'll have some luck. Unlike what happened when I tried to re-mate the engine and transaxle. I'll post on that next time...

No comments: