Starting with What?
|thinking about it|
Think, Measure, Think
|aligning the rails|
I wanted the rack to have some give, so I chose to connect the rails to the side supports with hinges rather than angle braces. On the other end, I thumb-screwed eye-hooks so we could pull one-to-all of the racks upwards, suspended from another eye-hook in the ceiling by a length of chain. I haven't completed that part yet. Last, the equipment needs to stay put. To address that, I replaced one hinge wood-screw on each rail with a eye-hook bolt run through to the bottom. On each rail, a 12" bungee is attached from hinge eye-hook to rail-end eye-hook. I am waiting for the arrival of some bath-tub tread material that I will apply to the rails to make it complete.
2 6' lengths of 1x3 cedar for the side supports and rails.
3 packs of 2" utility hinges (2 in each pack)
3 packs of #8-32 x 1-5/8" eye-bolts (2 in each pack)
3 packs of #208 Screw Eyes (2 in each pack) - for rail ends
1 pack of #206 Screw Eyes (2 in pack) - for ceiling
1 8-pack of mini bungee's
some #10 washers
Cuts and Drills
I started with a clean-up cuts on the ends of the cedar. Lumber yards don't make perfect square cuts, so this is always a good idea. I cut 2 24" long pieces for the supports and 6 12" long pieces for the rails. I set one of the supports against the sidewall to consider rail placement. To make it simple, I pressed the support against the headliner support. I transferred the pencil marks on the wall to the support. Recognizing that we need 9" between each rail (our tallest binding was 4-1/2"), I lined up the rails 9" apart, adjusting the pencil marks. Once I had a plan, I set the support back against the wall, held the rails up to see how it would feel. Then, I pre-drilled the holes for the hinges (making one on each rail large enough for the eye-bolt) and assembled. I also pre-drilled holes at the top and bottom for wall-mounting.
A test installation wouldn't be complete without filling it with snow equipment. I put 2 boards (mine and T's) on the bottom rack, 2 sets of ski's (K's and C's) and Boo's set on the top rack. K2 gets new-to-us ski's this year, so I left his off. With the bungee's, the equipment sits well. I will apply bathtub treads to help hold things in place, but it looks like the passengers will be comfortable and safe, and the equipment a-fixed.
That's it for today. I still have some clean-up to do, but in just 4 hours this went from concept to installed. We may use the racks as garage wall-mounts too. Each one attaches with 4 screws. Neat. More next time, and thanks for following along-