Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Decoding Hapy M-codes

I miss my bus. No, I mean, he is still parked out front, but he hasn't really seen much street since the Summer of 2018. Figure, with CoViD-19, all of our Summer plans were thrown out. We tried to plan a quick overnight vagabond, but even that was fraught with CoViD-fear. I routed that frustration energy into all kinds of project last winter / spring / summer, ranging from a parking furnace to a defroster. Now that the weather has turned, and our corral has thinned, he will be getting pressed into service when I need to get somewhere.... until I replace the rear bearings on Nemo, the 1997 Audi A4. So, while I set up projects for the winter, I thought I would post my M-codes, and what they mean. All of this was from my notes from 2004, but I since validated all of it here on type2.com.

Camper Designation
The first code after the VIN is for the poptop. My code is 518 which is for the Westy. I have read that 517 is for a true campmobile and 609 is for the campmobile deluxe.

Color Codes
Below the camper are the color codes. My line starts with "99 26" which indicates L90D or "Pastel White" exterior color. It is followed by "51" for dark beige leatherette interior.

Options
picture of Hapy under autumn trees
Hapy awaits the road
On the same line as the color codes, my option codes start with "A02". That is for a group code or a group of options that were applied as part of a package. This package included mostly basic stuff: 020: Speedometer & odometer in Miles, 026: Activated Charcoal canister, 089: Laminated Windshield, 102: Rear window heating, 206: Anti-glare Rear View Mirror, 506: Dual circuit Brakes, 511: Padded Dashboard, 524: US / Canada spec Sealed beam headlights, Red Tail lights, Side marker lights & Backup lights, 525: US / Canada spec seat belts.

After "A02", I have code "P31" which means Westfalia SO 70/2 interior. Then I have "172" which means radial (steel belted) tires followed by "507" for vent-wing windows in the front doors.

During my research I found that there were "bad weather packages" that included intermittent wipers and front/rear fog lights. Sure would be cool to find one of those.

Manufacture Date
The next line starts with the week number and day-of-week that the bus was assembled. Since it is a 1972 model year, it was constructed either in late 1971 or early 1972. Since the week number is high (36), we can conclude it was a week in 1971. Since the first few days of 1971 are mid-week, so they are shared with 1970, the actual manufacture date gets a little blurry. I have assumed that any day in the year that appears in a week marks that week as week 1. Accepting that assumption, week 36 is Monday 31-August thru Sunday 5-September. That's how the ISO defines a week. I do not know if the Germans used "0" to reflect the first day of the week or "1". Computer geeks start with 0, but I think in 1971, they probably started with 1. So, the 4th day of that week would be September 3rd. The guy who built the type2.com page confirmed that single number was for the day of the week where 1=Monday. I cross-checked by week math against the famous RAtwell, and his week math is the same as mine, so I think Hapy was born on 3-Sep-1971.

If we take the ISO rules for a week then week 1 is the first full week of the year. So, week 36 is the week of September 6-12 of 1971. The 4th day of that week would be September 9th. So confusing. For years, I thought his birthday was September 3rd, and it wasn't until I went to validate that for this post (So I didn't get it wrong) did I consider the blurriness of week 1. I intend to celebrate Hapy's 50th birthday on September 3rd AND September 9th so we definitely get it. September 3rd will be the Friday before Labor Day in the US and September 9th will be the Thursday before ChinookFest (if they hold it). So, either way, there's a ready-made party for his birthday.

Mysteries
After the manufacture week and day, there is a 4-digit code "7628" that I have been unable to identify. Based on some web-wandering it may have to do with production planning. Then, it has "UJ" which should correlate to a shipping destination. The "U" means US, but the "J" is a bit unclear.

Next, I have "2319" which indicates that this is a (2) type2, (3) Kombi, (1) that's left hand drive, with a sliding door on the right and (9) a camper. The last 2 numbers I have translate to engine (4) and transmission (1 - manual). I have not had much luck decoding the engine code of "4", but I'm running a TDI now, so it doesn't apply anyway.

No comments: