Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coolant lines ordered

I've been slammed at work, and it doesn't look like its going to let up any time soon. Additionally, my wife suddenly departed for Las Vegas, so I'm single-parenting for the next week or so. So, I'm going to keep this short. In the previous post, I laid out the rubber hose lengths I need. I ordered the hose from an online vendor. I also have an update on my brother-in-law and mother-in-law. Last, some chatter about identifying when your turbo is about to fail.

Hose
After some research, I found Goodyear offers a smooth-on-the-inside corregated-on-the-outside flexible hose that holds its bends because the corregation has wire in it. Since I need to run a 90* angle off of the radiator, an offset under the beam, over the axle and under the firewall, and then another series of 90* bends to get to the engine in/outlets, flexible hose seemed the wisest choice. I could fabricate something with copper or aluminum lines that I sweat together, but I think this is a much better idea, and it will probably be lighter as well as easier to maintain. Details about the Goodyear hoses I used can be found here. In case the link fails at some point in the future, the capsule about the hoses is below.
I hope the hoses arrive before the weekend, but I'm not terribly optimistic. I bought them from coolparts.com, and they ship using UPS Ground which can be fast, but the parts are coming from Michigan (I think), so with the Winter weather it may be a while.
I need to construct the hangers anyway (at location "C" and "D") to join the different rubber lines together anyway, so I'll be doing that work this weekend. The hangers will perform 2 purposes: 1 - hold the line up against the body at the 2 key transition points and 2 - butt together 2 segments of flexible line.
---
Goodyear Flexible Radiator Hose
Designed for radiator hose applications where a molded radiator hose is not available. Flexible radiator hose has a corrugated cover that easily bends to replicate the original equipment coolant hose. Flexible radiator hose maintains full flow and resists collapse with a wire insert. Hose is designed to be used with automotive coolants.
---

Marianne and Tom
Tom's health took a turn for the worse in the last few days. He is now back at the VA Hospital in Las Vegas dealing with dehydration. This could just be a complication of the medications, but it could also be a harbinger of renal failure. My wife immediately dropped her classes and booked a flight down to Las Vegas. She left today. Her mom, meanwhile, has had her cancer type determined as adeno multi-cell cancer. It is a multi-cell version of lung cancer that is not as aggressive as some other types, but still aggressive. They have determined a treatment plan, though my wife will be conferring with the doctors. I haven't gotten word from my wife since she traveled to Las Vegas, so my next posting may have more details.

Turbo Fail
I've been following a thread on TDIClub about someone who had their turbo fail in such a way that the engine's cylinders were swamped with oil. Apparently, when these turbos fail, oil blows through the intake and gets into the combustion chamber. They also scream like nothing else as they are approaching their final days, but when they finally fail it blows oil. Since the diesel engine operates on a much higher pressure principle, you can imagine what happens to your bottom end when a chamber that is supposed to be filled with vapor is suddenly filled with fluid. BOOM BOOM BOOM there goes your connecting rod. It was suggested that monitoring the turbo could be done with a turbo speed sensor (Garrett makes one for about $360). I emailed with a company that build custom diesel installations that used the speed sensors and they decided that they were overly expensive and not well-tailored to the task. How do you avoid an ugly turbo failure? Check the play in your turbo during your regular maintenance (oil changes). If you're especially nervous about it, get a boost gauge.

More next time.

No comments: