Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tanks for nuttin'?

Well, I'm still waiting for the replacement seal. I'm not sure what the hold-up is. If our Utah parts-man is anything like the local area merchants, the August slowness has gripped him too. So, I took this opportunity to re-measure some things, and I think I might have a problem.

First, I checked how far back into the fuel tank compartment the tank sits. It is so close to the front edge, its basically 0 inches. Ok, I'll be generous, and say its 1/4". Actually, upon rechecking, there is a beltline lip that runs around it (about 2" above the bottom) that is flush with the tank lip. That beltline sticks out 3/4". That's important.

Next, I checked how far out from the engine lip the top end of the engine sticks out... well, how far out the vacuum pump sticks out. 3 inches. Eek.

Ok... so how thick is the adapter plate? 1 inch.

How far out from the body does the transaxle stick into the engine bay when its in the bus? Well, that's hard to say, now that its on the ground. But.. the distance from the mounting ears to the lip of the transaxle is about 2 inches.

What's the net? 2 + 1 + 3/4 = 3 3/4" - (vacuum pump stickout) 3" = 3/4" of room

I was concerned that after all the work on the tank, I would not be able to use it without cutting or denting it. Honestly, I thought it was going to be much worse until I discovered the mounting ears reached back 2" from the front lip of the transaxle. I think, once I account for the body-mount, it will be just shy of 2". It looks like we'd still have at least a half inch between the vacuum pump and the fuel tank. I'd rather have more, but this is good news compared to where I thought I was when I started this post.

Well, hopefully, the new seal arrives soon. If its not here by the weekend, I will be test fitting the adapter plate without it. I'll post with pictures regardless.

No comments: