Tuesday, August 12, 2008

engine bay / fuel tank bay painted

Just a brief update with this weekend's antics. After completing the de-greasing and cleaning of the engine bay and the fuel tank compartment, I performed rust treatment. The concept of rust converters is pretty much the same, and the price differential really comes down to how pure the contents are. In the end, the rattle can stuff works well for hard to get to spots, and the milky goop works fine for flat brushable areas. Of all the choices, I prefer the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, but shipping is getting expensive, and I will usually top-coat or otherwise paint whatever I'm treating, so I use the Eastwood in targetted areas. The engine bay and fuel tank compartment weren't. I used the brush-on milky goo that you can get at NAPA. It is easy to locate locally, you can use multiple applications, it doesn't smell and it is paintable after 24 hours. Sweet.

While I was getting the rust converter, I grabbed a couple of cans of plain blue paint. I decided a while back that when the day ever came to do body work on the bus, I'd paint the lower section blue. I suppose any other color would have worked fine too, and there are probably some VW purists out there that are cringing at the thought of changing the color. Sorry, but all Dove-White is just really boring, and looks dirty/crummy pretty easily. Every time I got out of the engine compartment or out from underneath, I'd leave a fresh grease-mark with my gloved hands. That's just one more reminder that white shows everything, just like black always looks dusty. Anyway, I digress. So, I papered off the sound absorbtion and shot the fuel tank compartment and the engine bay with NAPA plain blue paint. Now, when the rest of the body is done, the engine bay will sort-of match. Well, it will match better than grease-marked Dove-White would have.

Once the paint dried, I degreased and cleaned all the wiring and re-fit the looms, including the rear light assemblies. I intend to replace those one day, as they are falling apart, but that cost will have to wait. More on the transaxle drop next time-

No comments: