Saturday, September 3, 2011

so much for tomorrow

Okay, I just need to stop saying I'm going to post anything, and just do what I do.  Clearly, I can't hold myself to a schedule, even when I publicly state I'll do something.  Again, my apologies.  I'll touch on some "life stuff" today.  After that, I'll head down to the bus and start working on material for the next posting.  Honestly, now that he's running, my posts will probably happen less often. Well, at least until ski season opens and we start driving the bus up the mountain for a day of sliding :)

Champoeg
I ran a basic trip report in my last post covering the road trip to Champoeg State Park and back.  The boys and I drove past the exist on the freeway this past week (in the Jetta), and we got talking about our camping trip again.  Since it was our only trip of the season, it had all the usual "first trip of the season" a-ha moments.  Among them, both boys understood again that camping night time is colder than at home night time, so bringing pants and fleece jackets are a good idea regardless of how hot it is when you leave civilization.  Mostly, we remembered how much time you have in a single day when you're camping.  By leaving all the time-saving devices at home, we actually had more free time.  Not sure how that works, but I'm sure it only works for a couple of days.  Hmm..  sounds like an experiment or a dare for another season.

Like all trips, there was a small collection of stuff we brought that we didn't use at all (lacrosse sticks), stuff we brought that I thought wouldn't get used, but was used a heck of a lot (bikes) and stuff we forgot, but muddled through without (spoons).  We made a list of things to bring next time (including spoons), of course.  In the end, though, we spent most of our time down by the Willamette River, splashing in the water and making a mud/clay wall.  Fun stuff.

Nested
The weekend after the camping trip, the boys returned to their mom's house for the week.  I'd been waiting for some cash to roll in so I could finish making my place a little more home-y.  For example, I had a tv sitting on top of a bass amp with a pile of stereo equipment around it.  It looked kinda like it was set there during the move-in in April and then never touched.  In fact, that's exactly what happened.  I got a tv stand-thing, re-arranged everything again, framed some posters, decorated the boys' room and the hallway.  Basically, the place is ready for outsider viewing.  I'd hoped to be at this point in time for hockey season, and I made it in time for football.  Sweet.  Drop by for part of a game if you're in the area.  I may make you look at the bus engine during a commercial, though, so you've been warned...

Boys Back
I got the boys back on Sunday night, but they're already back with their mom (Labor Day Weekend).  They loved my place before, but I think they like the energy in it now even more.  I had to work this week, so my folks minded them during the day Mon-Wed.  T is old enough to watch his brother, but they can't use the pool or get beyond BMX bike-range without a licensed driver.  Great thanks to my folks for being available.  The boys found a local BMX bike track and used it a few times while they were with me.

Oregon State Fair
On Thursday, I took the day off from work and took the boys to the Oregon State Fair.  I hadn't been to the fair in a few years, but it rang familiar.  Big barns full of show animals, carnival rides and a bilk-your-money arcade... live music and many booths of sellers.  We couldn't find the Alpaca's, but we did find the horses, cows, pigs, goats and sheep.  There were some beautiful animals, and being so close to them we city-folk get a much better idea of how large they really are.
There were 2 big downsides, though, that the Fair organizers should re-think.  First, the only water available was for purchase only in enviro-hostile plastic bottles or given out in tiny dixie cups by Bible-thumpers or Culligan water salesmen.  Ain't nuttin' free.  I was able to find a single old-school water fountain where I could refill my water bottles, but the Fair folks should change this policy.  Second, almost every vendor was cash-only.  So, if you prefer plastic you either didn't buy stuff (like me) or you hit the $4-per-transaction-fee ATM's which were everywhere.  Clearly, the Fair was getting a taste of those fees, and I think that's rotten.  The few vendors who handled their own credit card transactions got my business, I spent my cash on food.

Well, this got long.  I suppose I should post more often, and this could have been 3 posts instead of one massive one.  *shrug* It's getting late if I'm going to look at my bus today, so I better get to it.  Hope you're having a nice Labor Day weekend, either with friends, family or live music.  More next time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two boys from a previous marriage, and your post reminds me of the days when I lived alone trying to be a good dad while only seeing your kids every other weekend. I can totally relate to having a full on bachelor pad and wanting to make it a little more kid friendly. Its tough, but we work with what we have. I can also relate to how hard it is finding a good rhythm to blog by. Whats too long, whats too short, is anyone even reading? I can't offer much advice, because i feel the same way. All I do is just keep writing, and hope that it gets better with time and experience. Your blog is cool man! Looking forward to the next post! Take it easy!

PdxPaulie said...

Thanks, Jeremy. Sometimes I need to remind myself that life is a learning, evolving experience, just like bus ownership is. They reflect each other that way. The blog is what the blog is. With life trying to find a rhythm, posts will continue to be sporadic. Appreciate the kind words-